Skip to content

Selfmadevip
Dear SMV members, we are making SMV more success oriented. From now on copyrighted material posts will be removed from SMV. Only discussion on success oriented topics is allowed. Thank you. Viktorados

Why don't I finish anythi..

Talking about anything that doesn't fit into other categories of this personal development forum

Moderator : developing_success

Re: Why don't I finish anythi..

Post by Posh on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:58 am

I'm facing the same problems. Too many things to do/learn/ problems.

I get we should refocus our vision & restart our lives. I'm doing that now...
Posh

Post by billionairekid18 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:27 pm

Here's what's going on: Impotent goals. You are not actually motivated by the goals you have set. This could be that either you don't really want the goals or (I think this is more likely) you have poor images in your head when you think of your goals.

I can tell you from experience that the second one is easy to deal with once you recognize it (it's what I've dealt with and what was holding me back). I used to start tons of things and never finish any of them. I had all these wonderful goals and dreams and never went after any of them although I know deep down they are what I want. This was solved by watching a Richard Bandler video. In it, he talked about how we make pictures of things we could do and how they are very small and nonmotivating. Adding color, size, and most importantly SOUND to these images makes them much more compelling to move towards.

If you think about your goal and aren't absolutely excited, you could be suffering from what I was suffering from.
billionairekid18
SMV Club
SMV Club

Post by JMT on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:35 pm

Tony Robbins could help as well.

The greatest tip that was given to me, was that I should stop multi tasking and focus at one thing at a time.

I think that could help you too, anyway go ahead, this way isn´t the easy one but it is much more worthy than anything else.
JMT
Self-Made VIP
Self-Made VIP

Post by billionairekid18 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:56 pm

Another useful tool I've found is to take a bigger goal and break it down. For instance, I want to flip a house in the month of April. The end result is selling the home and there are many more manageable, smaller goals I am using for guidelines.

First, I need to find a home (I have at least 5 I'm looking at). The next step (or mini-goal) is to get funded and purchase said home. There are mini-goals in that because I need to have a plan of what's going to be done and a time line of when it's going to be done (renovations), then the getting funded (which involves getting investors), ect.

I think you get the idea. One of the most important things when going towards a goal is to measure your progress. That is how this is so effective. At every mini-goal, you can see where you wanted to be and where you are and see if you need to switch your plan or change anything. This will keep you focused on the smaller picture so you're constantly moving towards the larger one. It's part of the formula of success if you study any work by Tony Robbins and it works.

Hope that helps!
billionairekid18
SMV Club
SMV Club

Post by Balance on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:45 am

Here's a bit of advice how I manage to handle procrastination...

Not even two years ago I was one of those guys who never finish anything if they aren't absolutely forced to by external circumstances. Like learning to play the guitar... I started it with a lot of passion and dumped it like just about everything else a few weeks later.

Id' say the most important factors I know of that might successfully solve your problem are:

1) Don't ever switch your focus
There's a million Self-Improvement programs out there (probably on this very website alone) and you can never ever possibly do all of them or even 1%.
So you have to set priorities... don't start learning hypnosis or photoreading if you are really bad with much more basic things. Like lack of self-esteem, lack of self-discipline or your inability to stop smoking.

Make a priority-list, a plan of the order in which you would like to improve yourself.
You can put the most important things at the top or maybe the things that have a good "effort to payoff" ratio.
Personally I like to tackle two things at once because just one thing sometimes bores the hell out of me... so normally I pick one "big project" that requires high amounts of effort but also holds a big payoff (like developing hardcore self-discipline) and also I like to work on something not as big and hard to achieve but also important... like improving my overall health by learning to cook healthy foods, or learning a new bodybuilding-routine.

2) No emotion = no motivation + no motion

I learned that in order to successfully complete a task you need to have a good reason to do so.
And not only do you have to know this reason, you also need to have enough imagination to anticipate the positive emotions you will acquire by completing your task. That's where I believe most people fail.

I saw this a lot in my own behavior...
For example I never had issues with self-discipline when it came to going to the gym. I didn't miss a single workout day since October - which is when I started again. Because not only did I know the intellectual reason to go to the gym, I also imagined how I would look like once there is some muscle on my bones. So it was never an issue to go there...

Then again there were things I'd like to do that would barely take me 15 minutes a day in contrast to the ~6 hours per week my workout plan demands and I just couldn't do them! The reason it turned out is because I wasn't able to imagine the emotional benefit I would receive from doing those ~15min routines - while on an intellectual basis of course I knew why I should do them. But that's just not enough....

By the way: This is really great advice on how to turn your ambitions into emotionally compelling visions.

This was solved by watching a Richard Bandler video. In it, he talked about how we make pictures of things we could do and how they are very small and nonmotivating. Adding color, size, and most importantly SOUND to these images makes them much more compelling to move towards.

3) One step at a time

This was suggested already so I'll keep it brief:
If your goals are big (which they should be) then you should split them into sub-goals and you should split those sub-goals into actions that you can take on a day-to-day basis. Or in other words: have a plan on how to achieve your goal in smaller steps.

I'm sure there's more but right now I can't think of it and those things should be more than enough to get you going.
Also don't underestimate 2) - an emotionally compelling vision is not something nice to have on the sidelines, it's at the very core of success.

Best thing is to write down the benefits of your goals in the form of a "movie scene".
Think of a nice situation that might happen to you once you achieved your goals.

-On the first run you develop the "plot of that scene", just ask yourself: where am I and what happens?
-2nd you add a layer of sensory stuff to it, much like billionairekid18 said: Add details on what you see (bright, colorful...), what you hear and even what you feel physically, taste and smell - and how you feel emotionally about those things.
- On the third run you take all of this stuff (your "movie scene" with all the layers of detail ans sensations you added) and write it down once more in a form that you can read with some emotional fire into a microphone. Make as many recordings until it sounds just right... and don't be a sleeping pill while reading the story.

If you listen to this recording in the morning and maybe once in the evening it beats the s*it out of your procrastination. :happy:
Balance
SMV Club
SMV Club

Facebook comments

Previous Next

Return to General