Skip to content

Selfmadevip
Dear SMV members, we are making SMV more success oriented. From now on copyrighted material posts will be removed from SMV. Only discussion on success oriented topics is allowed. Thank you. Viktorados

Power of Now

Talking about anything that doesn't fit into other categories of this personal development forum

Moderator : developing_success

Power of Now

Post by gza on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:13 pm

Anyone read this book It's life changing, and highly recommended to anyone. After I read the book I felt more spiritual than I could have possibly imagined. Main points are:

There is form and the formless. There is more nothingness than form, and that is the essence of the universe. There is more silence than sounds, empty space than objects. This is proven by science as well. Between the nucleus and the protons or electrons of an atom there is 99% empty space. This is true about everything. When you are aware of the formless, you can see the true depth in things. Just like an atom makes up a part of a whole, so do you. Everything is connected and makes up the oneness of the universe.

You are not your mind or your body. A description that I like from Tony Robbins's book was "my body is the temple of my soul." Your body is where you live in form. Your mind is just a tool. Your thoughts come from your brain, correct Your brain is just a part of you. When you completely associate your identity to your brain, that is ridiculous. You would laugh at someone who thought he was his hand. This is where all problems arise. When you associate your identity to your ego, or mind-made concept of yourself. That is not who you truly are. Listen for the next thought in your head. There is always a voice talking to you. Can you shut that voice up If you are truly in control of your life, you would be able to use your brain to suit your purposes, not let your brain use you. Once again, that proves your brain is not you. If you were able to hear the voice, what is the awareness behind that That is your true essence, the one aware of everything.

The only time is now! Past is created in your brain. Future is created in your brain. Everything you do happens right now. Your past are just memories, they are images formed by your brainwaves. Irrelevant to how you can live your life right now. Have you ever done something and just been in the zone Like play a sport, musical instrument, or something that you loved doing Do you remember how that feels It seemed as if time didnt exist. You didnt think about anything, you just performed the task at hand. That is being in the now. Now I'm not saying you can't use your past or project the future to accomplish a goal. I am just saying that if you are aware that the only real time is right now, you will be able to do things much more efficiently, and never have negative emotions.

Ways to get in the present moment:
Feel the life inside your body. Breathe through your nose, feel the breath enter and expand your lungs. Focus on the point of stillness after your out breath. Close your eyes and feel the life emanating from your hands.. your arms.. your legs. Feel your heart beat from within.

Listen to your mind talk to you. Dont allow it to control you. Understand, you use your brain, not the other way around. When you can hear the voice, you disidentify from it, and you have periods of no mind. When you do this more and more, you will condition yourself to have now as your default state. You will be able to use your mind when you need it, and much more effectively because you wont be wasting your energy thinking about unresourceful information or negative feelings.

Be aware of silence and emptyness. See the space in the room - in the world. Listen for the silence that is always around. There is silence between words, in music - everywhere. There is much more silence than noise.

Focus on an object intensely without giving it a label. Words are form. When you label something, you aren't able to see the fullness of it. For example, how can something like God be shoved into a little box and labeled by a word. If you label something with a word, you are ignoring the formless essence of what it truly is, its connectedness to the universe, and making it into form. Focus on anything, preferably without words and try and look at it intensely. Notice all its details, but don't place any labels. Accept its value to the universe.

Anyway... read the book.
gza

Re: Power of Now

Post by viktorados on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:25 pm

Very interesting point of view! Thanks :D
viktorados
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by maxdog on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:54 pm

Yes this book is really fascinating, after you read it you think about it constantly. Very good summary :)
maxdog
SMV Club
SMV Club

Post by gza on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:17 am

Or dont think ;), but yea, this book gets a ten on the changes your life scale.
gza

Post by real on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:44 pm

Focus on an object intensely without giving it a label. Words are form. When you label something, you aren't able to see the fullness of it. For example, how can something like God be shoved into a little box and labeled by a word. If you label something with a word, you are ignoring the formless essence of what it truly is, its connectedness to the universe, and making it into form. Focus on anything, preferably without words and try and look at it intensely. Notice all its details, but don't place any labels. Accept its value to the universe.

So true, that is the main challange of human (verbal) communication!
real
SMV Club
SMV Club

Facebook comments

Next

Return to General