Skip to content

Selfmadevip
Dear SMV members, we are making SMV more success oriented. From now on copyrighted material posts will be removed from SMV. Only discussion on success oriented topics is allowed. Thank you. Viktorados

Michael Jordan (VIP, Sport)

Walk through the life of a self made VIP: side by side, from the beginning to the last days. Post in this personal development forum biographies of your favorite VIPs.

Moderator : viktorados

Michael Jordan (VIP, Sport)

Post by viktorados on Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:32 am

jordan_10.jpg
jordan_10.jpg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 2237 times

Michael Jeffery Jordan is an American former basketball player, and is considered by many to be the greatest of all time. He became the most effectively-marketed athlete of his generation and was instrumental in spreading the appeal of the NBA to corporate America and overseas in the 1980s and 1990s.Considered a remarkable force at both ends of the floor, "M.J." ended an NBA career of 15 seasons with a regular-season scoring average of 30.12 points per game, the highest in NBA history (marginally ahead of Wilt Chamberlain's 30.06).

More information about his life story you may find here.
viktorados
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by viktorados on Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:33 am

Quotes by Michael Jordan (b.1963)

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

I know fear is an obstacle for some people, but it is an illusion to me... Failure always made me try harder next time.

I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying.

You have to expect things of yourself before you do them.

Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

I play to win, whether during practice or a real game. And I will not let anything get in the way of me and my competitive enthusiasm to win.

More quotes you may find here here.
viktorados
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Quotes from "Michael Jordan to the Max"

Post by ubra on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:12 pm

Those are quotes from the Imax documentary "Michael Jordan to the Max". Besides great pictures, the documentary contains an insight into the mindset of this great personality. It shows beautifully in the quotes and side notes that Coaches, Reporters, his mother and Jordan himself make throughout the film.

I transcripted some of the most remarkable ones.

And even though they're taken a bit out of context like this, they still show how a true winner thinks.

Hope you like it.

[btw.: I wrote them down just as they are said in the movie, so some of them contain mistakes that everybody makes when speaking freely.]

---------

You can imagine the disappointment that I got when I felt like I should have made the team, but then didn t make the team.

My mother came to me and said: Use that energy to prove to the Coach, to your peers and your classmates that they made a mistake. You give it your best. You try so hard. And you get to the point 'I know I can't do it'. And if you try one more time, you are able to achieve it. It's going one step farther. That s not giving up. That s giving your best: I only will walk away when I know I do not have anything else to give.

The disappointment was so deep - like a cut. It struck the fire in me to make sure that I never endure that type of pain again.

---

This guy [Michael Jordan] said: Those are my weaknesses. I'm gonna figure out how to make those my strengths And he did it.

---

The level of faith that I have in anything in life is taught to you from your parents. It is the trade that I would never trade anything for. And if I can ever pass anything on to my kids, it would to be optimistic about everything in life.

---

I failed over, and over, and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

---

Probably one of the most remarkable shots that everybody remembers is this shot that he [Michael Jordan] made against Cleveland [game winning buzzer beater]. But they don't remember, that the night before, he missed 3 out of 6 foul shots that would have sealed the game for us. And we wouldn't have had to go to the 5th game. A normal player would have said: Oh, I cost us this opportunity and probably beat themselves up over it. Michael, the next day that we played Cleveland, got on the bus and said: Have no fear, we re gonna win this ball game.

---

"Michael, you're a tired man, aren't you " "I'm exhausted! But that's what it took to get to where we had to go. I mean, everybody had to leave it on the floor, and there's no tomorrow. It's the last dance, so we've got to give everything we've got." "They're rested, you guys are fatigued, but I know you'll be ready to play on Wednesday." "Our hearts are not fatigued. That's the most important thing! "

---

When my father died, I had him for 32 years. I was very lucky. I look at that as being lucky, not as being disappointed that he wasn't around any more. I was lucky that he was there when I needed him, that he could influence my life to look at situations that I used to help make my decisions to this day. Some kids never have that. Sure, I would love to have him now. But people are put on this earth for a reason. And you utilize the time that you re here. You never know when that's gonna be taken away. That's one thing he taught me. But why he was here, why they re here, is to make an impact on someone's life. And he made an impact on my life.

---

[During his Baseball career] Every day, the first person there, before the sun, would be Jordan. And he was there, because he wasn't good. He would work with the batting instructor, and work all day long, and be the last person to leave every night also.

---

What it did teach me was: "Don't be afraid to try." The worst thing that can happen is, that it's not paying out the way that you envision it. But at least you know that by giving it a shot.

---

And the day would end, and he [Michael Jordan] would say to the batting instructor: Can we do a little more I think I'm getting this. I think I'm learning this. I think I'm getting this. And that's when Sports Illustrated put him on the cover, saying that Michael Jordan has embarrassed Baseball. And as I would watch him there every night as the sun was going down and the other ballplayers had left, and I would see this guy, working to get better, Michael Jordan, working to get better, I couldn t help thinking that if you ever have children, you ought to pray that they grow up some day to embarrass you like this.

---

I would have to see someone beat Michael Jordan 4 times, because I said, to do that, you're gonna have to dismember him. You're gonna have to take an arm and a leg, and you're gonna have to drag him off the floor. He's not gonna go easily.

Even when the Bulls weren't superior physically, they had a philosophical edge. "I think Phil had a lot to do with that, with his Zen practice, his whole emotional approach to a game of Basketball. I've experienced a lot of different coaches, but he gave me the understanding about life in a whole different frame. I think the teaching or the understanding of Zen Buddhism is, how you view yourself to deal with the realities of life, surrounding you. And somehow be able to correlate that to a simple game as basketball."

---

[Phil Jackson] This is something that we talked about a lot, as a Basketball team is about how to be in the moment , being able to visualize what might happen in those times. Michael has so embraced this. And I think that was the beauty of his game. That he had all these abilities to adjust, not forcing on pre-determined ideas, but allowing those things to come together for his game.

---

I tend to be calm; things tend to slow down as I go into situations that people don t know the outcome of. I already experienced them in my mind, just playing tricks with myself. So, it didn't seem new to me, and I wasn't afraid to fail with it. Once I began to understand that, I became a Master of the game of Basketball.
ubra
Self-Made VIP
Self-Made VIP

Facebook comments

Return to Our MENTORS