Skip to content

Selfmadevip
Dear SMV members, we are making SMV more success oriented. From now on copyrighted material posts will be removed from SMV. Only discussion on success oriented topics is allowed. Thank you. Viktorados

Is the law of attraction a big fraud, a satanic deception?!

In this self improvement forum we help our members who search for mentor or go through challenges during their personal development

Moderator : developing_success

well, a deception maybe but hardly "satanic"... (part 2)

Post by garyorman on Mon May 23, 2011 9:06 am

I’ve harnessed what I call “The Law of Randomness” in my life several times. I might be looking for a particular kind of job, or a girlfriend, but no matter how hard I look, I often don’t find what I want. So I sometimes ‘surrender’ to the randomness of life and stop looking. This is NOT the same as what “The Secret” advocates: it’s NOT about sending your intention into the universe and waiting for the universe to respond. It doesn’t work that way.

The real secret about harnessing the randomness of life is that you make a conscious effort to live an enjoyable life – either by learning to appreciate the job you already have and making it better FOR YOURSELF, or (if you’re looking for a new relationship) by enjoying being by yourself and spending more time doing what YOU enjoy. It’s in this way that you become a more ‘attractive’ person.

Nearly every time I’ve adopted this attitude in life, the job (or girl) of my dreams just pops into my life out of nowhere (and usually from right next door). I’ve found new work through my existing job, simply because a happy customer referred me to one of their clients. And I’ve bumped into – and clicked with – beautiful girls either on the bus on the way back from music practice, or by attending an opening party at a new art gallery of a good friend of mine.

But be careful what you wish for. There is a dark side to “The Secret” which they careful avoid dealing with. I’ve sometimes got what I wanted but sometimes at a huge personal price or it turned out that I had made a Faustian bargain. I once got a certain measure of fame and notoriety and an opportunity to highlight serious injustices in the UK legal system – but my family ended up paying a very high price: their lives were turned upside down and they lived a life of terror for several years… perhaps directly as a result of my ‘dissidence’. And, on another occasion, I got the girl of my dreams, sexy, sassy, wild, but I had to contend with her equally wild mood swings that almost destroyed both of us.

There’s no “Satan” involved in “The Secret” or in making ardent wishes for what you want in life. However, there are bad people out there. And whether you try to live quietly without being noticed or whether you go out and seek out new adventures, partners and opportunities, you cannot escape maliciousness across the spectrum.

A good book to read is Martin Levinson’s “When Good Things Happen to Bad People”. Even though it is religious in tone (from a Jewish perspective), it holds true regardless of your beliefs (or non-beliefs).

Firstly, there are the people who are out to deceive you and rob you, ranging from the con artists and “self-help” gurus to the corporate marketers who influence to buy into their products to the Fed who manipulates the value of your money.

Then there are the miserable people, who hate to see anyone else happy or successful. They might even be your brother or mother or aunt or ‘friend’. They will do their utmost to put you down and make you fail. They will also gossip about you, putting obstacles in your way or closing off opportunities that you (nor they) are even aware of. It can be an innocuous-seeming but insidious comment (“Gary might be a very talented manager, but he scares people”) and you wonder why the opportunity to prove yourself never materialises.

There is not much you can do about the first group, except to be well-informed and to read as widely as possible, even from sources that you might not agree with – just to get an alternative point of view. There also comes a time when you have to take a chance and trust people. So here’s two maxims I’ve found very useful:

- “Trust, but verify” (Ronald Reagan)
- “Only invest what you can afford to lose”

Regarding the latter, sometimes you do have to give your all and be ready to lose everything for what you really care about in life. So it helps to develop a kind of Buddhist philosophy whereby you can still be happy in life without “desire”, without worldly possessions and without WANTING what you don’t or can’t have.

Sometimes, the best way of getting what you want in life is to start to appreciate what you already have. As has often happened to me, the girl of my dreams happened to live in the same block as me – after having unsuccessfully trawled the dating websites worldwide. Often what you are looking for in life is already in your own back yard, you just have to learn to notice and appreciate it.

And I think that’s the penultimate scam of “The Secret”. It sets you up to believe that you have to go out into the world to seek for your dreams and desires, and then hope the universe (and the various people you meet along the way) will help magically to achieve your goals.

Most of the time, this isn’t necessary.

You want to be a great musician? Start by getting a good guitar, or rent a piano, and begin watching the training videos on youtube, get a book about music and composition from the library, buy some self-study books, try out some music teachers... What about a great writer? That’s even easier. Start a blog. Spend 10 minutes a day writing something, anything. Just do it every day. Get a book on creative writing. Start submitting articles to local newspapers, magazines, Readers’ Digest… Join up with other writers. And start reading the great writers from Shakespeare to Leo Tolstoy to George Bernard Shaw to Brooke Burke.

Here’s a final well-known principle that has guided me successfully throughout my life (I’ve changed professions four times and have become expert in nearly all of them):

In nearly any field, there are up to about 200 definitive books written by the various experts in that field. It might take 3-4 years to read and understand these works, but once you do, and have started to put some of your newfound knowledge into practice, you can become as accomplished an expert in the field as any other professional.

There’s a little more, however. To truly master a field of knowledge (especially if it’s a talent as in music or art), you need to devote – or invest – around 10,000 hours of your time (Malcolm Gladwell: “Outliers”).

Well, you don’t really need to put in 10,000 hours – 5,000 will do well enough to be a seasoned practitioner or professional in many cases. At 2-3 hours every weekday, that’s 6-10 years.

If you start now, you will be a relatively accomplished “X” within six years and pretty darned good after ten. WHATEVER it is you want to do!

And that’s no secret.
garyorman

Facebook comments

Previous

Return to Help Me with & Success Coaching...