Skip to content

Selfmadevip
Dear SMV members, we are making SMV more success oriented. From now on copyrighted material posts will be removed from SMV. Only discussion on success oriented topics is allowed. Thank you. Viktorados

Is it important to you what other people think?

In this self improvement forum we help our members who search for mentor or go through challenges during their personal development

Moderator : developing_success

Is it important to you what other people think?

Post by wings27 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:16 am

what i think is it's important what other people think to some extent.
i am trying hard to make a distinction about when should i care what other people think of me and when i shouldn't.
a lot of time we think its matter what they think when actually its don't, but there are times that we should care, i think.
well...what do you think
wings27

Re: is it important to you what other people think?

Post by KING_Darko on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:39 pm

I believe you shouldn't give a damn what anyone thinks of you.

At the end of the day, the only person that knows you is you. Letting other people judge you takes you out of your own heart and makes you self-conscious, whether those are for positive or negative reasons. I think if someone compliments you or says something encouraging it is important to really appreciate them for it... but you should not let that dictate who you are or what you're capable of.

KD
My Calling in life is to wake up every day surrounded with so much love for myself, my life and others that the extreme levels of abundance I experience in all aread of my life are a direct and natural reflection of my own inner wholeness.
KING_Darko
Self-Made VIP
Self-Made VIP

Re: Is it important to you what other people think?

Post by qnn on Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:36 pm

Everything is not that black and white.

What if a bum on the street said you that you were a arrogant selfish jerk because you did not gave him money. You wouldn't take that into your heat, would you On the other hand, what if your best friend(s) says that you are a jerk because you forgot to do something really, really important. Makes you think, doesn't it

For example, I have this very good and solid relationship with one of my very good friends friend. We can say each other what ever we think without getting offended by it. Let's say he said that I was a jerk because of something I did, and gave some supporting facts. I would seriously take that into consideration.

You have to make firm decision about whose opinion you care about and trust and why. It is not very wise to get obsessed by what everybody thinks about you. The paradox is that the more you think about it the worse they think about you... The important thing is to get your priorities straight.

What somebody thinks of you at some moment is not important. What matters is how people perceive you in general. Don't be a selfish and don't get obsessed by what other people think about you and you should be okay.
qnn
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Is it important to you what other people think?

Post by mar on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:53 pm

I do not care what people think about me on an emotional level for I understand that I am solely responsible for my own feelings and emotions. However, from a learn perspective, I listen actively to what people have to say esp. my boss :) But whatever she says, it has no effect on my inner state. That is the great teaching that I got from Pickup: Stay unreactive but responsive :)

cheers
mar
mar

Re: is it important to you what other people think?

Post by KING_Darko on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:22 am

KING_Darko wrote:I believe you shouldn't give a damn what anyone thinks of you.

At the end of the day, the only person that knows you is you. Letting other people judge you takes you out of your own heart and makes you self-conscious, whether those are for positive or negative reasons. I think if someone compliments you or says something encouraging it is important to really appreciate them for it... but you should not let that dictate who you are or what you're capable of.

~KD

Wow! I wrote this not even 2 months ago and have already changed my understanding so much. I didn't even remember writing that. gnn, you hit it on the head!

I think after all is said and done, the person who dictates the value you have within yourself should be YOU. I don't always live by this, but I do believe it's the healthiest way to be. Now, don't get me wrong- if someone calls you on your shit, sitting there and saying "Oh well you're not me so I have more value than you and what you say is not important" will just make you look like a douchebag.

I keep an open mind about almost everything, and the stuff I'm not so open about I'm working on being less judgemental. If someone tells you you're an asshole, even if they're your best friend, it doesn't make you one. It doesn't take away your value, and you need to be able to hold on to your perspective of yourself and not let other people define that for you. Have your own standards of what you will accept from yourself, and you'll find that people will question your value a lot less.
My Calling in life is to wake up every day surrounded with so much love for myself, my life and others that the extreme levels of abundance I experience in all aread of my life are a direct and natural reflection of my own inner wholeness.
KING_Darko
Self-Made VIP
Self-Made VIP

Facebook comments

Return to Help Me with & Success Coaching...