Skip to content

Selfmadevip
Here is what our members say about us...
"When I first found the site, it was like I have found a gold mine. But, I was so wrong. It's not a gold mine. It is much more than that. Its value cannot be measured in any currency or gold or anything. It is the inner beauty of contribution, growth and sharing that is unmeasurable."
maxbond, 31 Jan 2008 More testimonials can be found here

I'm Gonna Get On BOARD!!

Introduce yourself to the other members of our self help forum

I'm Gonna Get On BOARD!!

Post by jandek on Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:38 pm

Hello all,

I'm a 26 y/o old male. I began reading self-help literature about a year ago, but I believe I was always into it in some way or another, as I was a philospohy major in my undergraduate years, and looking back on it all, it seems like just a more snobbish way of presenting the same things that Tony Robbins or Mystery present. Many of the ideas of Soren Kierkegaard and Neil Strauss are exactly the same.

I think I sort of stumbled back into the modern self-help circle, as many of us did, after reading THE GAME. Currently I'm not that interested in seduction techniques, and I'm much more intereted in Anthony Robbins and Deepak Choppra, and working on my "inner game" i guess you would call it.

About a year and a half or 2 years ago I was slovenly, depressed, and going nowhere in my life. After listening to Tony Robbins tapes and getting my act together, I just barely got myself into Medical School, lost 25 pounds, am excited about life, and put myself back on the track to success. I thought that was going to be the hard part, but believe me it's not. The hard part is staying in, and being in the top of your class. I use my self-help know-how and tapes every day to push me to extreme hours of studying and learning. It takes an excess of discipline, and I even feel guilty right now by typing this intro instead of studying my Cranial Nerves. Yet, no matter what your goals or dreams are, I feel that a site like this is necessary for someone like me to get ahead. I feel like i've tapped into something special, and I really want to nourish it because it works for me, and it certainly gives me that EDGE that I need.

I was over at selfdevelop.info, when viktorados pointed me in this direction. I had actually been a member here first, but was not encouraged by the fact that I had to go through membership approval and jump through hoops. Now that I think about it though, what could be cooler I'll give it a try. We all have busy schedules, So I figure, if you all can do it and be successful, so can I!

My big interests right now are Self-Help (I'm still very much engaged by Tony Robbins, and not the least bit sick of him, so I think i'm going to keep doing what i'm doing), Exercise (I recently discovered YOGA after an injury while running, and almost being eaten by a stray dog while going for a jog), and philanthropy/volunteer work. I of course love music and women, and the finer things in life as well!
Today I sprang out of BED!!!!
jandek
Self-Made VIP
Self-Made VIP

Re: I'm Gonna Get On BOARD!!

Post by markzor on Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:59 pm

Hello. jandek. welcome to the forum. You're very intelligent!!!!

I am very inspired from what you have said. You lost weight and you overcame despression, that's something to be amazed at!! I am also inspired the way u deal with things and overcome your problems. I am currently 17 and I am studying and learning very hard, also i try to push my self over limit and barriers which I have never done before in my entire lifetime. During around this year 2008, after listening and reading some self-help materials, I realise my purpose and dreams in life. I know that i have to accomplish school and be the best person I can be. Not only that, I also can pursue and find my dreams, in order to do that, I need to become the top student in the whole school (that's my main goal) But seriously, at this moment I'm not very intelligent, I will have to cough out blood just to study.. I was also extremely depress last year as well. And I know I need a change right now and I try to study and improve my inner self. Also just like you, I also believe this site will benefit me in many ways, that's why I chose to stay on this site. I believe it will help me get somewhere in life and get me some skills for life. This is the site to be and I know it will help you too jandek. And this site also makes me extremely happy, it's a community I can cherish for my life. They also provide you the right tools to change your life.

Thanks. It's an awesome introduction.. In fact I have a learning disability (I didn't even notice it last year) but I believe it's gonna be gone by this year due to really hard studying . I could be studying right now but yeah ;) posting to this intro.

Have fun. Hope you the best luck in medical school.

p.s Also can you give me some advice to become a top student in school. I don't have any good methods right now, i want to improve myself extraordinary and phenomenally in 1.5 of years until my school is up.
Thanks jandek. you're experienced so i was hoping u can offer me help.
markzor
SMV Club
SMV Club

Post by jandek on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:36 pm

Hi Markzor,
thanks for reading my intro and writing such an enthusiastic response! I would love to be able to help you out with your studies

here are some tips I picked up, developed, and stole along the way:

1) The top student is rarely the smartest student.
2) The top student is the hardest working student, but more importantly is the most efficient student.
3) Efficiency is the name of the game when it comes to studying

but how to be efficient

Well, to-do lists are good, but I find that tracking how you've already spent your time is way more important. Here is what I do:

I create a time-table of my day. From 4:30 am until I go to sleep. Every hour is one box.
I then fill the box with these catagories as I go through my day:

M - Maintenance - (eating/cooking/grooming/commuting)
PE - Exercise
PS - Personal Study (we'll get into more detail here in a minute)
SLA - Scheduled Learning activities - (any lectures/labs/reviews/group study sessions/tutoring/teaching, etc)
R&R- Rest and Relaxation - you know what goes here

At the end of each day I tally up how much time I spent doing what. And at the end of the week I also do the same. Charting how you spent your day is SO CRUCIAL to being a better student. If you do this for one week, you will be amazed how much your study habits improve, just by keeping track. Ok, now here's the REAL KEY to the whole charting thing: You can ONLY mark an hour of Personal Study if you study 50 minutes solid out of 60 or 25 minutes out of 30. (I understand you are only 17, so if you can only do 30 minute blocks, that is ok). Doing this changed everything for me and keeps me on the ball all the time. I can constantly compete with myself, and make improvements. It's a self-help kids dream and when used properly, will take you to the moon.

Also, please seek out help and advice from any tutors or counselers or students who may help you with your learning disability. Just understanding that you have one, and that you want to improve means that it can be overcome. One of my best friends, and study-mates here has dyslexia, and she is a STAR student. Don't let anyone ever tell you that you can't do it or achieve your goals.

Here are a couple other quick tips:

PRE-READING
Always read the material you are going to have in class, before you walk into class. Pre-reading is so essential, you have NO IDEA. You will never get lost in lectures, always know what the proff is talking about, increase your retention level, and your confidence. Then after lecture review the material (should be your 3rd time seeing it now) and it should all be memorized at this point without you even trying! Of course, most of us will have to go over all our notes one more time, no matter the subject again and again.

CONDENSE YOUR NOTES:
The idea of being an academic can be extremely daunting when you think about ALL the material needed to be absorbed! What's the trick Being able to condense COMPLICATED and COMPLEX ideas (and for med school it's more like massive QUANTITIES of ideas) into simplistic ideas and thoughts. The best students are the ones that can simplify things. The best way to do this is to constantly condense your notes. Make things simpler, less complicated, and more memorable. If you learn all the details, and then simplify something, all the details will never leave you if you have the Big picture.

TEACH OTHERS TEACH OTHERS TEACH OTHERS
This is a huge trick I picked up only in the last month or two. I never liked studying with others (I still don't) but it's so invaluable, I can't pass up the tool. In teaching others while studying with others, you are locking the material into your brain. If you can teach someone else, you have already condensed the material in your head, processed it, and can now reexpress it. I adapted this rule, and now give lessons to no one in particular while I'm in my room. I draw with dry-erase markers all over my mirrors. I sound like a nutso while I do it, but sometimes you can't get a group together, and teaching a lesson to your ghost students is the best way possible to condense the material.

STRESS:
the two best ways to get rid of stress are to exercise and to stay on top of the material. If you're ahead of the game, and move your body, you'll have nothing to worry about.

Good luck my friend. THANK YOU SO MUCH for asking this question and asking for help. I feel reinvigorated and excited that i've learned so many little tips and tricks. I hope this helped! I actually didn't chart my progress all last week (I had 3 exams and was pretty much only studying anyway), but you've inspired me to get my weekly chart going again! Thank you and if you have any questions, or need help, please don't be afraid to ask.

Don't forget that you are only 17! The fact that you are SO self-aware and have such a strong desire to succeed means that you are world ahead of everyone else your age. I bet many on this board didn't have the attitude that you have when they were 17. I know that I didn't! Take care of yourself, and take time to enjoy your life while you are achieveing all of your goals!
jandek
Self-Made VIP
Self-Made VIP

Post by jandek on Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:47 pm

another member posted this study skill improvement book in the forum here:
http://selfmadevip.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=2878

Also, check this out! I just saw that senthil posted these Successful student affirmations elsewhere on the board. All thanks go to him! Enjoy!!

Link
jandek
Self-Made VIP
Self-Made VIP

Post by markzor on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:12 am

Thank you very much jandek for helping me and using your time.
I am speechless and I am motivated from what you have said, I know your help will influence me to change my entire whole life. I know this will help other members who want to improve their study habits.

Thank you. Now I know I have a clear mind for studying. I didn't have any efficient steps to studying until now. I am motivated by my life's goal and I realise that studying really hard will achieve that. I will see how I progress and I hope I see results through hard working. I hope you're right, the top student is the hardest working student. Thanks, a lot jandek, I realise this fact now, to become the top student, you have to work really hard and in an efficient way and I will continue to do so through out these 1.5 years of hard studying. I will try to learn as much as well

I am also extremely grateful that you've listed so much information which can help and benefit me in many ways towards studying. Thanks, I will also force my mind to do things.
I also follow the quote "Don't Think. Don't Try. Just Do." From now on, Im definetly gonna create a schedule and time-table also a to-do-list. When I complete a task on the to-do-list I will cross it out and i hope i have a sense of achievement. And I can't thank you much enough, I didn't this, until now, you've motivated because you''re already sucessful in school and you share me your knowledge on how to be sucessful. Therefore Im gonna do what you do Jandek, because it benefited u and it will also for me.

Also I am seeking Help from teachers when it's possible.And one of the teachers thought I was gonna fail through year 11 VCE and they thought I couldn't not cope in school at a VCE level (that's for an average academic student). They suggested me doing VCAL(below averaged academic students, very easy work and you can't get in a uni course after u completed yr 12) because they knew I had a learning disability. When VCE yr 11 school began, the teacher would test me for 4 weeks if I can cope at a VCE level, if I couldn't cope, they would put me in the VCAL study level. Also the teacher didn't believe in me at first because she knew students who had this kind of disadvantage would not suceed in school. After 4 weeks, she was amazed at what I've accomplished and she knew I've changed myself so much. I missed and wagged a lot of school days during year 10 because I just hated school, In fact I missed a whole school in yr 9 and the teacher knew this fact as well. In 2008 I've changed, I study a lot and gone to school. Also thanks for telling me about your friend who is a star student, I AM inspired and this will help me strive and thrive to be the person i want to be, regardless of anyone in this world.

I have the feeling of thankfulness and deep appreciation for helping me. Also I am grateful that you've given me extra tips. I never pre-read my books or notes and from now on I will today. Also, thank you. I am more motivated to do things. I will try to create memos and I never thought of doing this but thanks to you, I'm gonna do it. Also thank you. I will condense my notes. I will, that's a promise. I'm seriously gonna follow these steps. And also, you made me do something more wonderful and an idea popped out of my head. From now on I will condense my notes on all my subjects. Also during class, I will do effective note taking(i haven't done that and I never seen any students do that in school), after note taking what the teacher have said, I will rewrite it in my own way. thank you jandek, for helping. This help me self evaulate myself and able to think out of the square and do those methods in a unique way that no other people has done before. Also im not good teaching people, but I will try to develop that in the future. Also I release stress by dancing, I express myself to the music and my mind and thoughts goes away when I dance, also i vent all my emotions, Again thank you

And I should be the grateful one and the person who should be thanking you. You put the time and effort to help me. And also i can't express my gratitude enough for helping from this point on, I can't believe i stumbled into a person like you. You also praised me, I am really honoured, rarely anyone does that to me. However, last year a couple of teachers praised me. One said "You have the potiential to push yourself but you don't take hold of it." Last year, another teacher praised me, she said "Your english has improved so much phenomenally in just one term," and at that time I lacked studying.

Also thanks for the materials, I've watched the vid and wrote all the affirmations down. I would probably stick it on my book and read it everyday. i've also downloaded the book that youve recommended.

Sorry that my post is so loong Thanks. But I have a few question that might you wanna answer. I also do subliminal messaging on my computer, does that change my mental processing I do it everyday when I spend time on my computer. Also I do brain training every single day, also applies for speed reading programs(eyeq). And last one, i started photoreading in february and I can see the blip page everytime I turn the page. But the thing is, I never activate my books after I photoread. I follow the 3 steps except for the activation. My question is does photoreading work and should I continute to photoread. Also I heard there's music that increaes your IQ and makes you smarter ;) jandek, do you listen to them and what can you suggest what tapes should i listen to improve my brain power.

Thank you very much for being a great teacher. I am very grateful. Is there anywhere I can help you, I am very privileged that you're helping me. Again, sorry for the long post!
markzor
SMV Club
SMV Club

Facebook comments

Next

Return to Introductions