Skip to content

Selfmadevip
Dear SMV members, we are making SMV more success oriented. From now on copyrighted material posts will be removed from SMV. Only discussion on success oriented topics is allowed. Thank you. Viktorados

Becoming an NLP Practitioner

Talking about anything that doesn't fit into other categories of this personal development forum

Moderator : developing_success

Re: Becoming an NLP Practitioner

Post by lettucerepublic on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:04 pm

hey thanks for the nlpu website - does anyone know of anywhere in the uk

I've also been looking into the professional guild of nlp and wandered if i should only train with a company registered to them

Many thanks
James
lettucerepublic

Post by HaKa on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:10 am

It depends on what kind of certification you want in the end.

I suppose you can study online but then again might want to finish your training in person, especially since I dont know of any online course that gives you a certification.

Robert Dilts always seems ver ancient to me (but I only watched 80's videos) where he is really (involuntarily) funny.

Anthony Robbins is just a big show-off - but then again, I have only watched a documentation about his fire-walks, which was kind of critical.

Bandler is always cool and funny, but I wonder whether you actually learn a lot (at least in his online/dlable stuff).

Chris Howard is pretty good, and I like Michael Hall even better. There are audio programs of both of them out here somewhere and they are worth listening to.

Also, I saw a post of some NLP encyclopedia - a complete video practitioner trainnig recently, but havent actually seen it yet, so I cannot say much about it.

I think there are many practitioners out there by now, and NLP is kind of en vogue, so I wonder what good it is, but then, make sure to tell me all about your experiences!! :) Interested in that topic myself, I am. :)
HaKa
SMV Club
SMV Club

Post by RedDragon on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:19 am

I have heard that Chris Howard has an audio course which takes you up to the level of practitioner or master practitioner.

What is the reason behind this may I ask Is it to learn more about NLP or is to have the qualification The reason I ask is because there is more than enough information on the internet to learn about NLP and fully immerse yourself in it (e.g. all of Milton Eriksson's works (spelling ) all of Bandler's stuff and then things like DHE he went on to create, all the books and courses written on NLP and then on particular aspects of NLP like reframing, then there are linked things like accelerated learning, cognitive behavioural psychology etc
RedDragon
Self-Made VIP
Self-Made VIP

Post by theonlylord on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:09 am

I'm very interesting in this discussion and I have the NLP encyclopedia even if I don't see it... :|
theonlylord
Curious Child
Curious Child

Post by Seamus on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:49 pm

I have to agree with HaKa,this is about what you want from the training.

I did a practitioner training in 1996. The focus of that course was experiential learning and acquisition of skill. I did nearly two years work on myself with the skills I learned in those 20 days (1 weekend a month for 10 months). I had to submit a completed exercise and some thing else (can't remember now). I believe the exercise questions came from the Sue Knight's NLP at Work.

Personally, certificates are worth very little in and of themselves. To some clients a few pieces of interestingly coloured wall paper can go a long way to convincing them that you know your stuff.

In the last 4 years I have done two Master Practitioner courses. One focused on Business (mentoring, coaching, consulting, presentation and leadership). The second one on Ericksonian Hypnosis I was invited to redo, two years later.

In that time I have learned a few things. NLP seems to have gone a similar way to what Alchemy may have. In Alchemy it could be said that there were two groups of people... The Charlatans who sought the philosophers stone, desiring to turn base metals into gold and The Hedonists who sought the elixir of life or fountain of youth. Taking this as a model and looking at NLP over the last 20 years... There are definitely Charlatans and many of them... Even Bandler is stretching it these days, he doesn't seem to have a new idea since the early 90's. Any training that claims to install skill unconsciously is to be viewed with the skeptics eye. Maybe Ross Jeffries and Mark Cunningham can be described as a few of the Hedonists...

Personally, I am weary of any training that claims to train all the skills listed in books authored by the likes of Joseph O'Connor or Steve and Conirae Andreas in less than 7 days...

I am very fortunate to have found the trainer that I did and in my home town at that.
Anyway, to answer lettucerepublic's question. In my opinion. NLP is best learned through practice and experiencing what the client experiences. An experienced operator or well trained practitioner can pick up new skills from books and nothing replaces a good training that gives the practitioner a good basis.

In the United Kingdom I believe the top dogs are Jamie Smart and - if he is still training - Wyatt Woodsmall. Paul McKenna is up there too, if he still trains, that said, if it was my money I would use McKenna when Bandler wasn't coming to town. It will cost a pretty penny.

If money weren't an object, I would take a course with Michael Hall and another with Wyatt Woodsmall...

That's my take on this query. Here's to its usefulness.
Seamus

Facebook comments

Previous Next

Return to General