Skip to content

Selfmadevip
Dear SMV members, we are making SMV more success oriented. From now on copyrighted material posts will be removed from SMV. Only discussion on success oriented topics is allowed. Thank you. Viktorados

Are you overwhelmed by your own collection ?

Talking about anything that doesn't fit into other categories of this personal development forum

Moderator : developing_success

Re: Are you overwhelmed by your own collection ?

Post by sky on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:43 pm

So what I get from above is::

1) Download a little more judiciously ( I do that. Its just that I sometimes find stuff that may not be immediately useful but may come in handy at some point of time in the future so I download it too eg. Options trading lectures)

2) Sort the material according to type and also possibly in order of importance ( this gets very overwhelming but I have sorted my stuff according to file type - audio, video etc. but I dont have the heart for a more rigorous sorting eg. author, genre etc. )

3) Make a priority folder only containing the most important stuff ( I have that but over time this gets too big :( )

4)Make your own ebook library using the software myebooklibrary (my post :D , I am doing it slowly but steadily but it can only take care of the ebooks, I wish we had some such software for all kinds of files)

5) Write the stuff on DVD ( DVD is too cumbersome and also does it not stop working if it gets even slightly scratched (which is inevitable over time). I have an external hard drive by the way but it can also crash like my computers hard drive :( )

6) Learn those things first which would enhance your learning and assimilation capabilities (like photoreading, speed reading, tony buzan stuff) ( yes I should do this. good point. LEARN TO LEARN FIRST)

My (weird) things/practices:

1) When I am listening to an audiobook on my computer I double the play speed. Yes, I have found that I can manage to comprehend at even double the general speed for audiobooks so it helps me finish audiobooks quickly. (just think of some David De Angelo stuff!)

2) I purchased an ipod (shuffle) so that I could listen to audiobooks even when I am moving about. I use it thoroughly. Its incredible value for money especially for people like us who have so much (audio)learning to do. Apple ipod shuffle is best suited for this purpose in my opinion rather than some shady chinese stuff because 1) awesome overall quality and 2) 10 hours + battery support (You wouldnt want to have one which barely runs for 2 hours)
Come to think of it there are two primary channels of learning that are there in our body - Eyes and Ears. Now we being humans generally in order to move around comfortably and to do all our normal daily activities like walking, eating, playing etc. we ABSOLUTELY have to use our eyes. there is just no other option right.
But Ears on the other hand are very special if you want to learn things. Just ask yourself this simple question - What does my AUDIO FACULTY do all day long Do I absolutely, necessarily need it every single minute of my waking time (like the eyes)
Obviously the answer is No. We are hearing just random ambient sounds ( which may even irritate us sometimes). We ca comfortably manage to go through our days even if our AUDIO FACULTY is doing something else on its own. This precisely my friends is where audio learning comes into play. the average time that we can devote to audiolearning is astounding. So commit to saving up for an ipod shuffle and even more importantly commit to becoming an AUDIOLEARNER par excellence.

3) Another issue with such huge download collections is that we are not even aware of all the amazing stuff that we have( the priority folder can only be so big). So the idea is that if we can somehow remind ourselves regularly of all the amazing material that we have waiting for us to be learnt and applied then we would probably make a greater effort to devote more time to our pursuit of self improvement. For instance, if we could somehow remind ourselves thrice everyday that we have life changing stuff like Victor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning" waiting to be learnt, then it is very possible that we would be much more likely to find out a window of time for this amazing book otherwise even months may pass before we ever even realise that we have this book.
So constant reminder of the material collection is good. right. But then how do we actually remind ourselves everyday
Well, here is what I have been doing - I have downloaded the cover pictures for all the excellent stuff that I have. I have put all those images in a folder and using the Automatic Desktop Wallpaper changer I rotate all these images randomly on my desktop as wallpapers. So every day I get a hint of all the important stuff that is waiting for me and it does provide a little more motivation (humans are visually stimulated most easily).

4) I try to read reviews on amazon to find out if the material is good(priority) or not. But those are not very helpful because the reviews are sometimes very confusing. someone gives 5 stars and the other person just ridicules the material (they may be biased). That is why it is so very important for people on this website ( and others like it) to review the material. Because we people do not have any external motives (more sale, competition with other products) and because we have similar inclinations ( self development) our reviews would be much more consistent and reliable rather than by some random (and not entirely fair) group of people.

5) I try to commit myself publicly on websites like these (eg SD.info) that I am going to finish some stuff by a certain date and then I would give a review. this creates some positive pressure form other members and helps. For instance, I committed to listening to Think Right Now Accelerated conditioning success program for "Unstoppable Motivation" for 60+ hours on SD.info (by the end of this month). And I have been listening to them consistently. I am going to post a review about it at the month end so that people may find it helpful.

these are some of the things I do. hope you find some value in them. feel free to comment. :D

sky
SMV Club
SMV Club

Post by developing_success on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:01 pm

Thank you all for replies, the information helped me a lot also :D
So i decided to help also:

Automatic Wallpaper Changer
http://selfmadevip.com/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=4698

Time stretching MP3 and other audio
http://selfmadevip.com/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=4697

My Mbook library
http://selfmadevip.com/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=4699
Was my reply valuable? For even more value, visit my blog: http://universallifecoach.com/
SMV COACHING! | My favorite books
Image Image
developing_success

Post by vipelite on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:02 pm

Yes I'm overwhelmed. Have the order of magnitude of materials like you. Situations the same, solution's kinda same too.

Thank you guys for posting the means you 've been trying out...

Idea of the mobile audio book station (ipod shuffle) is a very good one.
Sorting needs to be done (doing some)
Priority is a must.
Ebooks are quite a problem ( there are too many thousands...!!)
Learning to learn 1st is definately necessary.
Time mgmt is necessary - still need to figure this out.

Actually I find it very hard to find the time out especially when I m sufficiently relaxed. This being the case also limits me from posting here regularly...

Hope we'll all find our ways....
Throw your heart over the bar and your body will follow.
vipelite
SMV Club
SMV Club

Post by netanel22 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:41 pm

Shanty, absolutely loved the idea of the Wallpaper changer.
My goal was to set a Collection for life, and never download anything again, made it got 1TB. Kinda got crazy with it, I'm admit :blink:

It's already been said that some things are crucial for really learn a lot from it:
1) Mp3 Player, consider also video player, there'r superb 4" players (Iaudio A2..) for the videos.
2) Burn on DVD's, Very important - Use the quality (!) ones. (Verbatim, teac.. ) not like those which I don't know if you got in stores that home depot make... :lol:
The ideall is that you also have a big bag for all your disks.
3) I've arrange all of it in sorts of Areas of improvement and sub-areas of improvement. Took a lot of time but good organization is playing the higher roll in digging Material and start learning.
moreover, arrange it in a PDF's Disc - for reading on computer, Audio Disc- For deliver to the Ipod, or Video Disc - To play on DVD.
I've rename all the filenames so that It's can be readable in the DVD/Mp3 player. and attach picture and explanation for every product.(Just when you thought I can't be any crazier) :wink:
4) Catalog all discs in Numbers with Software (I'm using WhereIsIt - It's pretty good).
Desperation is a necessary ingredient to learning anything, or creating anything. Period.
If you ain't desperate at some point, you ain't interesting.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
netanel22
SMV Club
SMV Club

Post by sky on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:03 pm

netanel22 wrote:Shanty, absolutely loved the idea of the Wallpaper changer.
My goal was to set a Collection for life, and never download anything again, made it got 1TB. Kinda got crazy with it, I'm admit :blink:

It's already been said that some things are crucial for really learn a lot from it:
1) Mp3 Player, consider also video player, there'r superb 4" players (Iaudio A2..) for the videos.
2) Burn on DVD's, Very important - Use the quality (!) ones. (Verbatim, teac.. ) not like those which I don't know if you got in stores that home depot make... :lol:
The ideall is that you also have a big bag for all your disks.
3) I've arrange all of it in sorts of Areas of improvement and sub-areas of improvement. Took a lot of time but good organization is playing the higher roll in digging Material and start learning.
moreover, arrange it in a PDF's Disc - for reading on computer, Audio Disc- For deliver to the Ipod, or Video Disc - To play on DVD.
I've rename all the filenames so that It's can be readable in the DVD/Mp3 player. and attach picture and explanation for every product.(Just when you thought I can't be any crazier) :wink:
4) Catalog all discs in Numbers with Software (I'm using WhereIsIt - It's pretty good).

All the things you have done must have taken some serious effort dude. :o Props to you for that. :)

And superprops to you for having a collection of over 1TB. You --> legendary :)

I really dont get the logic of collection for life and then not downloading anything again. Because this stuff will just keep coming and plenty of the tings will be really really good. So although I understand you will have a mountain of stuff to go through, you still shouldnt completely give up collecting new material.

What you could do probably is be extremely selective hereafter. Only download the most incredibly useful stuff and not too many things. But again with a collection of over 1 TB you can probably afford to even completely stop downloading.

The only thing I would seriously request though is PLEASE CONTINUE SHARING the fantastic stuff you have been sharing. Your shares are awesome. Incredibly good. :happy:

I am also intrigued to know that you are trying to go for Real Estate. Please let us know about it. Keep us informed.
(Hell, we could even start a thread about it for the people interested in Real Estate. 8) )

cheers

Shanty :D
sky
SMV Club
SMV Club

Facebook comments

Previous Next

Return to General