Skip to content

Selfmadevip
Here is what our members say about us...
"Great to have a system that permits a meeting of minds that would otherwise have never known of each other. :D I'm an educated gentleman who aspires, and is committed, to being a better version of himself than he was the day before. I look forward to passing on that which the universe gives me and to the congress of all members towards this common goal."
gr1ts, 16 Mar 2007 More testimonials can be found here

Alcohol - What's your stand?

Talking about anything that doesn't fit into other categories of this personal development forum

Moderator : developing_success

Re: Alcohol - What's your stand?

Post by Noesis on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:44 pm

I think the question should be: Why do you drink
If it is from the view that wine/spirits/beer is a food to be enjoyed and savored, by all means, go for it. Of course, be aware that savoring too much of anything has negatives.
I'm not sure I fully agree with the whole Jungian thing of the OP and the whole 'alcohol makes you act in an opposite nature."
I'm an introvert by nature, but I've been gregarious both drunk and sober, and I've been withdrawn both drunk and sober. In either case, any recovery necessary the next day was due not to my social behavior, but to my (over) consumption.
If anything, alcohol (at the point of intoxication) simply quiets the conscious mind and makes you more in touch with your core--the little voice that says "But what will people think of me " fades into the background. I would argue that this is something you can achieve in your everyday life and it is often this feeling that people pursue when they drink. That, and escapism.
To recap: It comes down to why you drink or want to drink. If you see alcohol as a complement to a meal or event, then by all means, enjoy. But if you see alcohol as a means (of escape, acceptance, a way of breaking out of your shell, etc.) or even an end in and of itself (simple intoxication), then perhaps you should reconsider its use.
Cheers.
Noesis
Curious Child
Curious Child

Post by brendan on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:29 am

Less is more. Remember "The Peaceful Warrior"? It isnt the alcohol that is bad fo ryou but the habit of drinking it. (said Socrates)

So lets eliminate those habits now. I was a heavy drinker and with my girlfriends help I reduced a lot. I cut down to only on weekends and last weekend I forgot to drink. Something that would not have happened a couple of years ago.

Since I have drank less I am so much healthier, exercise more and am more virile. So.. theres my stand. I think there is a pun on virility in there somewhere.
brendan
Self-Made VIP
Self-Made VIP

Post by debcrow on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Everything in moderation can be beneficial. For example, white wine is healthy for the lungs, red wine is healthy for the heart. Beer is healthy for the cardiovascular, only one drink (6 oz) a day is recommended. Liquor is limited to 1 oz however, be cautious of the mix, mixing with soda elevates the sugar content and defeats the healthy benefits.
debcrow
Self-Made VIP
Self-Made VIP

Post by chrisibrand on Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:51 pm

I personally like to drink a beer or a glas of wine once in a while, but generally I don't really like drinking like many my age (21) do in order to get drunk. As it has been said, I personally think it is such a horrible waste of time if you spend the next day (an entire day of your precious life time...) having to recover from being wasted the day before. Plus, even if you like alcohol, whatever you drink in huge amounts you will no longer really like...

So if you like the taste, moderation is the key. And another danger is that many people use it to get rid of inhibitions which only makes them dependent on the alcohol to achieve that state instead of just letting go and being naturally more outgoing...
chrisibrand

Post by Amy Twain on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:27 am

Well in my opinion, I wouldn't mind others drinking as long as they can handle it and won't vomit everywhere! And also, just as long as they take responsibility for their actions after whatever misdeeds they'll do after being influenced by alcohol (getting into fights, hangover, etc)
Discover the secrets of success--now! http://goldminetosuccess.com/
Amy Twain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Facebook comments

Previous

Return to General